Environmental, Social & Governance
Objective: Outline the WCL Social & Governance commitments by reviewing, updating, and communicating all relevant company policies to highlight Social and Governance commitments.
Objective: Manage water usage and wastewater discharges on all sites during 2022.
- Record and conserve water usage on sites during 2022.
- Water Protection – Wastewater treatment / management practices on all sites – No waste water breaches / incidents during 2022
Wastewater system at
Wastewater system at
Clay Farm East Village
Objective: Reduce carbon emissions throughout the company by 30% by 2025.
Plans: Carbon Calculation
- Calculate site baseline Scope 1 & 2 carbon per 1,000 – man hours worked 2022.
- Document Scope 2 carbon WCL Head Office in 2022.
- Calculate Scope 1, 2 & 3 carbon on 2 sites during 2022.
- 10% reduction on 2022 baseline in 2023
- 20% reduction on 2022 baseline in 2024
- 30% reduction on 2022 baseline in 2025
Carbon Reduction Initiatives
- Change to electric vehicles – At least 25% of company vehicles electric during 2022.
- Introduce work specific office & compound carbon initiatives during 2022.
- Offset a percentage of the 2022 carbon in 2023.
Bicycle parking area at College Square site.
ECO cabins at our College Square site.
Objective: Promote Environmental Sustainability and Biodiversity Enhancement measures within WCL during 2022.
- Sign up to the All-Ireland Pollinator Plan 2022.
- Carry out 10 Pollinator Friendly actions across a number of active sites during 1st half of 2022.
- Initiate at least 3 Community Engagement Programmes during 2022.
- Promote biodiversity and sustainability internally within WCL though the Wellness Programme and ISO I4001 System.
- Sponsor and work in consultation with Environmental Charities to promote and enhance biodiversity during 2022.
Objective: Focus on innovative waste management practices and recycling/recovery initiatives to support a waste management circular economy during 2022.
- Soil & Stone – 100% of soil and stone away from landfill
- Concrete – 75% of concrete away from landfill
- Mixed Construction Waste Materials – 90% of mixed Commercial & Industrial Material away from landfill
- General – Assess and implement 2 waste management improvement initiatives within the company during 2022.
Waste segregation at Santa Sabina.
Benches made from timber off-cuts from our Two Oaks site.
Objective: Promote and gain recognition for WCL ESG works.
Diversity Plan – work alongside Diversity Ireland to achieve bronze award for 2022 to 2023, silver and gold thereafter.
Green Awards – Make a Green Awards submission for 2023
Considerate Neighbour Strategy
- Environmental monitoring & compliance on all sites.
- Community engagement and working relationship in environmental actions.
- Considerate constructors in place on all projects.
- Media to communicate ESG initiatives and works internally and externally.
Walls Construction have plans to make a 2023 Green Awards submission.